Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Number of Miners Per Looter?
(0 viewing) 
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Number of Miners Per Looter?
Number of Miners Per Looter? 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone could let me know about their experiences using looters with miners? Right now, I have 1 looter supporting 6 miners, but I haven't had the time yet to determine whether or not the looter is taking so long to get to all the containers that they're expiring at the 2-hour mark. The looter is in its own VM. I know the yield of my miners is considerably below what they should theoretically produce, and I'm trying to understand if that's an issue of multiple clients (3 miners per system) or if the looter is failing to pick up the slack. I'm upgrading my system so that I can put all of them into their own VM, but I had issues with Miners running successfully in a VM with only 1 gig of RAM. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts or experiences! Thanks!
AbbadonDespoiler
Expert Boarder
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2016/10/24 15:17 By AbbadonDespoiler.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Number of Miners Per Looter? 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 33
The short answer is that you're going to have to do your own homework.

Having more than one miner on a single VM will significantly reduce yield. And a looter is probably more detrimental.

Your question can't really be answered without accounting for:
How many belt bookmarks the looter is cycling through.
Tank mode?
Miner yield (T1/2), ore hold size determines number of cans to tractor.
Looter skills
Ship and cargo capacity (Orca)

EVE pilot is only about 66-75% efficient in my experience.
innominate
Gold Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Number of Miners Per Looter? 3 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16
I've kept my looter and booster in their own VMs for that reason, but I think you're right that they're greatly detrimental.

No tank mode, but there are a lot of belt bookmarks in my system. I wonder if I actually need that many...

Other than ship and navigation skills, what sort of looter skills were you thinking of?

Well, thank you once again for your help. This is food for thought, certainly. I think I'll need to bite the bullet and push the miners into VMs. I'm adding another 16 gigs of memory to my setup, hopefully that should help.
AbbadonDespoiler
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Number of Miners Per Looter? 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 16
You were right: splitting up the bots and looters into separate VMs made a huge difference. The yield per miner now is probably ~50-60% expected from tools like ISK Per Hour, which seems consistent with what you describe above.

The number of BMs is probably an enduring issue, but I saw in another thread of yours that you had a way to make Miners drop corporate BMs when they have cans to loot, then the Looter could use those. I asked this in another thread as well: is that something you'd be willing to share? I want to use the Orca for hauling since the booster bot is dead, and the long align time (30s+) makes me worry that the Orca can't get around the system fast enough before the cans pop. I think being able to go directly from miner to miner would vastly expedite it.

Furthermore, the problem of attempting to loot cans filled with loot (that puts the looter bot into a loop) likely has killed my productivity. Switching to a non-orehold ship made a big difference as well, since the loop would crash the bot or otherwise keep it locked up for hours on end, leaving the cans to pop. I was wondering what, if anything, you do to deal with this?
AbbadonDespoiler
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Number of Miners Per Looter? 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 33
Glad I helped. About what percent was it before?

The orca warping to BMs made by miners will put you close to the roids sometimes. I've not tried it yet. There is an increased chance for the big orca to get hung on roids...

I plan to release that stuff after I finish the inventory manager code, Which will resume when the bug hits me again.

There is no workaround for cans with non-ore in them. (Well, abandon wrecks works, but it doesn't work in a fleet.)
innominate
Gold Boarder
graphgraph

Re: Number of Miners Per Looter? 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 16
I want to say it was something like 33% before.

In normal belts (not anoms), the actual bookmark for the belt works great; every rock (and thus every can) is well within the tractor range of the Orca, and gives it plenty of room to maneuver to warp. I was very pleased with its performance today.

Awesome, thanks!

The issue is when people salvage my wrecks and it leaves the cargo containers behind. For the moment, using the normal cargo hold is an adequate solution. I made a post about it and Slav2 said he'd look into it, hopefully that has a solution soon (I thought maybe a text string to recognize the cans that each miner could use when renaming.)
AbbadonDespoiler
Expert Boarder
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
Moderators: Slav2
© Macro Laboratory 2020
All rights reserved!
Design by Ivan Kozyrin